Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Slow Moving Foot Syndrome

(posted by Kerry)

Happy Monday ... or Tuesday.  I hate weird weeks like this.  Not that I don't welcome a holiday, but weeks that don't start on a Monday flip me out a bit.

It's my first day back to work in a week and it's been rough!  The alarm going off at 5:15 was a rude awakening.  Getting my butt to the gym (after eating more pizza last night - yes, seriously) was not easy.  Driving to work was weird.  And the 100s of emails in my inbox just make me want to go back on vacation for another week.  It's gonna be a long day.

Thankfully, I got my workout done early so I don't have to think about it later.  And it was a great workout once I finally got going.  I started off by doing a 5 minute warm up on the bike, because it was like 55 degrees inside the gym - brr.  Then it was time to jump on the treadmill.  I had a 3.5 miler planned and was ready to rumble, however, my feet were not.  I must have tripped 65 times during my time on the treadmill.  I swear to you, I was sure that I was going to trip and face plant onto the moving conveyor.  I could not for the life of me pick my feet up.  Ugh.  Thankfully, I didn't fall.  (Ironically, as I was running there was a story on the news about how treadmills are the most dangerous piece of workout equipment.  Nice!  And I totally believe it!)

Since I was having "slow moving foot syndrome" this morning I broke my intervals up.  For the first 15 minutes I did 2/1 intervals, then from 15-35 minutes I did 3/1 intervals and then for the remainder I did 4/1 intervals.  And I let myself walk the last quarter mile really slowly because I was afraid of falling.  Sheesh.  Overall, great workout.  Around mile 2 I honestly thought about stopping and doing the elliptical for the rest of the time, but I didn't.  I am really really glad I stuck with it.  3.5 miles is an accomplishment before work! 

After my run/walk I was ready for strength training.  I told you I was going to start the routines from The New Rules of Lifting for Women.  I didn't.  After looking at my flabby arms in the mirror (seriously, why is it that when you stop working your arms for a day they lose all tone??) I decided to focus on my biceps and my back today.  Tone will be back soon, I will make sure of that! 

Here's what I did...

After all of that, I felt like a rock star. 

It's so amazing that I started the morning contemplating sleeping in and ditching my workout altogether, and then I ended up rocking it out at the gym.  Actually, the thing that motivated me this morning was a quote that I read on Tina's blog from one of her readers.  The quote said something to the effect of:

"You will never regret the workouts you do, but you will always regret the workouts you don't do." 

This quote is AWESOME.  It's SO true.  When I didn't workout yesterday like I had planned, I stewed about it all day and wished that I had done it.  So this is definitely one to remember.  Another quote that I always say to myself, I found on Julie's blog, "You're only one workout away from a good mood."  Again, true!  I'm much happier, alive, fun to be around when I have a workout under my belt.  Endorphins!!  You know I'm a fan.

Now I need to use those endorphins and tackle the 6000 things on my To Do List at work.  Argh.  Have a great day!

Coming up later ... my fantabulous workout playlist from this morning.  It's a good one!! 

Questions for you ...
- Do you workout in the morning or the evening?
- Do you feel like 100% better after a good workout, or am I just weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment