Sunday, January 29, 2012

Catch Up & Universal Studios 5K

Well hi there!  It's been a while since I have written, so I thought I'd fill you in on what's been going on over here.  Fun right?

I got back home from Atlanta, after a loooong but very fulfilling week, on Friday night around 10pm and promptly went to bed.  I was whooped from 8 hours of class, 2 hours in the airport (where me and a classmate of mine spent way too much time and money in a Brighton store) and an hour long flight home.  Plus, I had to be up bright and early (ahem, 5:45am) for the Run For The Children 5K at Universal Studios.

It was cold on Saturday morning!  Colder than it had been in ATL, which was weird.  I met up with Amanda bright and early and then we made our way over to the Studios.  This 5K is super cool because you run through Universal Studios City Walk, Universal's Islands of Adventure (Harry Potter!) and Universal Studios, so there is constantly fun stuff to look at, and it makes the whole race go by really fast.  This is probably one of my absolute favorite 5Ks in our area.  Check out the scenery!!  (and sorry for the crap pictures, I forgot my camera, so I had to use my iPhone)
The start line.  This was definitely a smaller race.

Running through City Walk towards Islands of Adventure

The entry to Islands of Adventure

The Hulk!

Whoops, random picture.  I actually ended up taking about 20 of these throughout the race.

Jurassic Park

HOGWARTS!!!

Now entering Harry Potter Land.  It was SOOO COOL to run through Hogsmeade!  Cuz remember, we're Harry Potter freaks over here.  

Running into Hogsmeade Village - neato!

It was so lifelike and real!


I totally wanted some Butterbeer!

And onto Universal Studios!

Jaws - which they are actually closing later this year.

The Simpsons ride

The finish line was right outside of Hard Rock Cafe/Live and NBA City.  



Yay, done!

My goal for the 5K was to run whatever I could, based on how bad my ankle/achilles hurt.  I had given myself an entire week off of running (and pretty much exercise), so I was hoping it wouldn't hurt too bad.  I started off running and it felt OK.  It was still sore, but not as bad as last Saturday's run, where I wanted to cry and chop off my foot and throw it.  I ran the first mile with just a bit of pain and then decided to walk for a bit at the start of mile 2.  And the rest of the race I literally ran when I wanted, stopped and walked when it hurt.  I did this off and on throughout the race and ended up finishing with a time that wasn't too far off from my Watermelon 5K back in July.  I ended with 42:15.  Not too shabby for being semi-injured and walking parts of it. I'll take it!  AND Amanda and I got our picture taken with Shrek and Fiona.  Bonus!  


The rest of the day was spent lounging and catching up on TV I missed throughout the week.  I love days like that.  We're doing a whole lot of the same today.  After breakfast with my parents, who were in town for a baby shower, I went to the grocery store, did some cleaning and now I am watching a Property Virgins marathon on HGTV.  Aah, perfection.  And, I am currently giving myself a much needed pedi.  I haven't touched my feet since my luxurious spa day the week after Christmas, so I thought it was high time to do that.  Plus, I'm going to the orthopedic guy tomorrow, and should probably have nice looking feet since my feet will be in his face.  Ha!  

And with that visual in your head, I am going to leave you now.  Have a wonderful Sunday!  

Questions for you ...
- Any races this weekend?
- Do you give yourself pedicures, or do you go for pedicures?
I do a mix of both.  I prefer to do my own, because I tend to like the way I paint my nails better, but I do like the pampering every once in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment