Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Disney Princess Half Marathon #5

Hello!  I am moving rather slowly over here.  Still feeling the after effects of the half marathon on Sunday.  Everything is sore.  Legs, calves, shins, abs … you name it, and I’m sure I didn’t help matters by walking around for miles at Disney yesterday, but oh well.  I’m hoping I will be back to normal tomorrow, because ouch! 

So how did the race go?  It went great!  I can’t say it was my most stellar half marathon, or race, but it was great nonetheless.  You  know me, I’m not in it to win it or set a PR, I’m just in it to do it and have fun and that’s just what I did. 

So things started on Sunday morning with a 3am wake up call.  That’s always fun.  Can’t get enough of those.  I also got a text from Amanda at 3am to call her …uh oh that can’t be a good sign.  I called her once I got in my car and she told me that she was going to have to bow out because her stepmom was in the hospital.  Aah!  Poor Amanda, this is the second race she’s had to forfeit – she was deathly ill for the Tower of Terror and now this.  So I was flying solo.


About half way to Disney I realized that I had absolutely no gas in my car.  I meant to go out on Saturday and get gas, but I never left the house on Saturday and totally forgot I needed gas to get me to/from the race.  Since the only gas station around was the one on Disney property (past where I needed to go) I had a mental tug of war with myself – do I stop and get gas and get stuck in that horrible traffic, or do I chance it and just get to Epcot?   The mere thought of being tired, sweaty and sore after the race, and then running out of gas on the way home did not appeal to me at all, so I drove to the gas station.  This added on lots of traffic time that I could have avoided, but in the end I had plenty of time to get there.

I got to Epcot, parked and found an uninhabited port o potty – the upside of having run this race a million times, I know where all of the uninhabited port o potties are, which is a valuable commodity on race morning.  Then it was off to the start line.  It was a 20 minute trek to the start line, so it was kind of a bummer that I had to make it alone.  Well, alone with 20,000 other people, but still alone. 

Yay

The weather was warm, humid (just how I like it) and ridiculously foggy.  Like to a point where you couldn’t see probably 100 feet in front of you.  Alright, that might be an exaggeration, but it was really foggy (as you’ll see in some of the Magic Kingdom pictures).  It actually worked to my advantage at some points of the race.  Usually you can see how far away the castle is and it’s always a bummer to be like “I’m still THAT far away?!” but this time you couldn’t see it, so you never knew exactly how far away you were.  Well, I knew since I’ve run this same course ten times and live at Disney, but anyway…

So the beginning of the race was great.  I did my 90/90 intervals and felt great.  I was like “who needs training, I got this!”  Yeah, I had it for the first 5-6 miles, aaand then I didn’t.  The running parts of my intervals were getting harder and harder and finally, after I got through Magic Kingdom, I decided that I was done with the running.  I decided I hated running and I think the words I said in my head were “F this S” – but spelled out into words.    This was actually a bad decision because everything after Magic Kingdom is SO BORING and SO LONG, and walking the long, boring parts makes for a very, very, very long race.

Speaking of Magic Kingdom, it was so foggy you could barely see the castle when you were running down Main Street, craziness.



For the rest of the race I kept chugging at a pretty good walking pace, enjoying my music, enjoying watching everyone pass me by, enjoying all of the costumes.  Oh, and can I just say that I think they had a rule this year that everyone on the course had to wear some sort of sparkly skirt or tutu, because EVERYONE had one on.  It was mind blowing how many sparkly skirts were worn.  Why didn’t I invent those?  I’d be a bazillionaire.  Even the men had them on.  There were only 1,500 men on the course (and 19,000+ women) and most of them were wearing sparkly skirts too.  Love that.

Towards mile 11 I got to a point where I was like “if the sweeper bus came, I would be glad to get on it” – that’s how tired I was.  Thankfully I was nowhere near sweeper bus territory (thanks to the scant amount of running I did in the beginning), but those last 2 miles were a bear because I was D-O-N-E.  Just after the mile 11 marker there was a downhill area where I figured I could run a little.  Um, no.  I literally could not pick my legs up to run, they were like lead.  I’ve never had that happen before.  It was really crazy.  So I just kept on walking. 

Mile 12 is at the bottom of this rather large hill and from there you get to a spectator area where everyone is cheering you on (always makes me a little teary, I don’t know why, I don’t even know those people) and the energy is great and then you’re into Epcot – the home stretch.  Just as I rounded the corner in the backstage area of Epcot I saw Sofia the First and I knew I had to stop for a photo opp.  For those non-parents out there, or parents of older kids, Sofia the First is a Disney Junior show about a Princess named Sofia and it is the cutest show ever (Tim Gunn voices a character – love!).  Jillian LOVES Sofia, so I knew I had to stop and get a picture with her favorite princess.

How cute is she?  This was mile 12.3

And from there, I just turned up my Ricky Martin (La Copa de la Vida - OMG, I love this song, such a perfect final push song)  and hoofed it as fast as I physically could around the short course inside Epcot.  As I got towards the finish line I decided that I could not walk across the finish line,  I had to muster up some sort of something and run across the finish line.  It was hard, and I think I injured something in the process, but I did it.  

Final time… well, let’s not talk about that.  Let’s just say it was the longest half marathon I have ever run and the worst time I’ve ever logged.  Eh, it happens.  That’s what I get for completely failing miserably at training…again.  Lesson officially learned. 

Oh, and that post where I said that one day I might entertain a marathon?  Hell.  No.  Never.  I will never ever, ever, ever, ever subject myself to that kind of torture and misery.  13.1 is enough for me, thank you very much.  This race taught me that, for sure! 

All in all, despite my performance, this was a great race.  I already had low expectations going in, I wasn’t expecting anything, and I feel really good about the fact that I started and I finished.  I could have stayed in bed, but I didn’t, I joined 20,000 friends for a nice, leisurely walk around the Disney resort dressed as Tweedledee.  How many people can say they’ve done that?  How many people will go through their entire life and never try to complete a half marathon?  Most people.  Us racer people are in an elite (and somewhat crazy) class of people who can do extraordinary things, and I’m pretty proud of that.  I may not run fast, heck, I may not run at all, but at least I’m doing it. 

The end! 

PRINCESS!


1 comment:

  1. Love the recap and the revamp of the blog page. Finishing was the goal and you accomplished that goal. YAY!!! I love the Princess medal. Next year I need to get one for myself. School is done for me and the Bar Exam will be done in July. Yes, I postponed from Feb to July because I wasn't mentally ready. When you have panic attacks and chest pain because of the pressure you put on yourself, it's time to take a let yourself absorb the material slowly. Which is what I'm doing. Not to say that come June/July I won't be panicking but at least I'll be better prepared!!

    One day I would love to do another marathon. I just hope my knees will let me. I haven't run a marathon since my knee surgeries 6 + years ago. Half marathons are the ticket right now because they are much easier to train for....2 hour training runs instead of 4.
    Anywho...take some time to recover and move on to the next one!!

    ReplyDelete