Monday, February 3, 2014

Super Bowl Recipes and Favorite Commercials

Hello!  Happy day after Super Bowl!  Are you still feeling full?  I sure am!

Last night we stayed home had a smorgasbord of unhealthy food.  It was delish, but by the end of the night Hubs and I were really regretting our decisions.  Ugh.  I hate feeling like that.  We started the evening with my famous sausage dip.  Well, it’s not mine (I learned how to make it from my friend Amanda) and it’s certainly not famous (because the ingredients sound kind of gross together), but it’s good.  Here’s what’s in it.

Famous Sausage Dip

Ingredients:
1 tube of original Jimmy Dean sausage, browned
1 package of cream cheese
1 can of Rotel, drained

Directions:
Put it all in a bowl, mix, serve with tortilla chips.

That’s it.  Super simple, and really, it sounds so gross, but it’s very good.  I swear!

After that I attempted to make a favorite appetizer from a restaurant that we used to go to way back in the day.

The back story – back in the day, right after I had just graduated college and went out a lot, we used to go to a restaurant down on Church Street called Jungle Jim’s (anyone remember this?).  We’d go to Jungle Jim’s before we hit up the clubs (yes, we hit up the clubs back in the day) to have BOGO drinks and the greatest appetizer ever – Spudmania.   Spudmania was delicious.  It was cubed potatoes, cheese, bacon bits, slathered in ranch.  Mmm.  This is probably why I gained a bunch of weight in that year after college.  But it was so damn good. 

Jungle Jim’s is long gone now and I haven’t thought about Spudmania in like a decade … until Saturday.  Saturday Hubs and I were trying to figure out what to have for Super Bowl munching and I decided to embark on a journey to recreate Spudmania.  It actually wasn’t hard to do, you just Google “potato, cheese, ranch” and like 100 recipes come up.  Here is the one I used:

Spudmania
(I cut the recipe in half)

Ingredients:
4 lbs of potatoes, cubed
1 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
½ tsp pepper
1 8 oz bottle Ranch dressing
1 8 oz bag of shredded Colby Jack cheese
Bacon bits (optional)

Directions:
1.     Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.     Place cubed potatoes in a 9x13 baking dish, add salt, pepper, chili powder and stir to coat.
3.     Cover with foil and place in oven for 1 hour.
4.     Take potatoes out and add Ranch, bacon bits and half the cheese, stir together.
5.     Add remaning cheese to top
6.     Place back in over for 10 minute until melty.

Yummmmm.  It was Spudmania perfection - just like the restaurant version.  I was so proud of myself for recreating it.  But so sick afterwards.  Hubs and I were already full from the sausage dip, and then we forced cheesy potatoes into our stomachs.  Not a great idea, but oh well, that’s what Super Bowl is about right – eating too much.  No?  Oh.

For us, Super Bowl is mostly about commercials and half time (we’re not big football watchers).  The commercials were just “eh” this year.  There were some standouts, like the Radio Shack 80s commercial.  We actually watched it in slow motion so we could catch all the 80s references like Twisted Sister, the California Raisins, ALF (!!), Chucky and Kid n Play.  So fun!  I also liked the puppy/Clydesdale one (who didn’t) and I liked the soldier homecoming commercial because it was in Winter Park, FL, which is really close to us.  I can’t remember what that was a commercial for, I think Budweiser?   And the Doritos time machine commercia, that was fun too.  And was it me, or were there a crazy number of celebrites hocking cars this year?  Sheesh.

But the highlight of my commercial watching wasn’t for a product, but a show.  There were a couple of very, very short, maybe 10 second, teasers for a show that’s coming on Fox soon.  One showed just a burning car and people running around screaming, and I instantly knew what it was, and it made me giddy.  And then the telltale beep of the timer started and I was like “24!!!!!”    

The TV show 24 (Jack Bauer!!) is coming back for a mini-series event in May and they started showing promos for it last night.  There were like 3 really short ones that didn't tell you what it was for, and then a longer one showing Jack Bauer and Chloe walking through a burning street with guns and explosions and chaos and whatnot.  OMG, you have no idea how excited this made me.  Made my night. 

click the link above for the video
As you may or may not know, Hubs and I watched the ENTIRE series of 24 (196 episodes) last year, over the span of like 5 months.  It was riveting and amazing and I just loved it.  And then shortly after we finished the series they announced it was coming back!  AAH!  So exciting.  I’m a dork.

Anywho… let’s talk workouts, huh?  This morning, still feeling gross and lethargic, I got up and did my T25 workout.  Today was Circuit and it hurt so good, but I was moving a little slow in the beginning.  I don’t think I actually fully woke up until about 5 minutes in.  Oh well.  And I should mention on Saturday I did not one, but two workouts.  I did Lower Focus (ow) and the Ab Intervals one again (because it was so good on Thursday).  Apparently I was feeling guilty for not working out on Friday so I doubled up to make up for it.

And that’s all I have over here.  Hope you’re having a super Monday.

How about you … What was your favorite Super Bowl Ad?  Any 24 fans out there?  What did you make for Super Bowl snacking?

1 comment:

  1. No Superbowl snacking for us. We got home from a quick up and back trip to No. Cal to check out the area, and the game was in the 2nd quarter. Then about 3 minutes before half time, our lovely (sarcasm intended) cable company had "issues" and we lost the station. So, we left the kiddos at home and went down to the local pizza place and watched the rest of the game. Hubs had a few beers and I didn't since I was the DD. We talked to bunch of people we just met and watched the rest of the game.
    We tend to eat junk food on road trips and we were all junk fooded out. I really can't say we ate a lot of junk because we had triscuits, pretzels, fruit, and gold fish. I intentionally didn't buy any of the Doritos, chips and other "real" junk food for the trip.
    As for workouts, didn't do anything except sit in a car and walk around Saturday and Sunday, but I had a great 5 mile run and lifting this morning.

    ReplyDelete