Wednesday, May 28, 2014
This month's Redbook had a great article that sang to me. Since becoming a mom 16 months ago, I find it hard to make time for "me" things. And I'm not talking like spa days or mommy shopping trips, I'm talking about menial tasks like checking my personal email or putting something away properly (i.e., if there is something that has to go upstairs or in another room, I make a pile and say "I'll go put that away later," and it never gets done!)….everyday things. It's kind of amazing that I can't get that kind of stuff done, but I can't…or don't.
So when I was paging through my Redbook I came across the article, "Stuff To Always Make Time For … No Matter How Busy You Are" (article linked here) and instantly perked up. All of the items on the list I either already do or was like "oh yeah, I need to do that." So I'm making this a "thing" and I'm going to try and live by it.
1) Lay out your gym clothes at night - Yes! Make your life and your morning easier. They say that if your gym shoes are staring you in the face when you wake up, it's hard to not workout (heh). This is something I always do because the last thing I need to be doing is fumbling for socks while Hubs and Jillian are sleeping. I put all of my clothes in the bathroom so that I can get up, brush my teeth and get dressed for my workout. Lately I've been uber lazy about working out, but once I get back on track, this is something that will always happen.
2) Make your bed - There's just something nice about having a made bed. The article says it sets you up for your day with one accomplishment checked off your to do list. Nice. We have one of those beds with 1000 pillows on it, so I have to make it everyday or else I have 1000 pillows on the floor - which is even worse than an unmade bed. I have actually built it into my routine. After my shower, while my hair dries, I make the bed, hang up clothes, straighten up the closet and do stuff like that. On those rare days the bed doesn't get made at our house, it just feels a little off.
3) Moisturize - You should moisturize day and night. I wear an SPF everyday and it's built into my moisturizer so this is a big yes. I don't do it at night as much, but I should! Right now I really like Cera Ve AM and PM lotions.
4) Take a lunch break - It's good for your mind and your mood! On days when I am in the office I always make it a point to try and get out of the office, even if its just to drive around a little bit (and get out of the frigid building). But some days I just can't leave and those days are loooong and when I walk out of the office I feel like I have been in a cave all day. So taking a lunch break, away from my computer is definitely needed.
5) Drink H2O - Yeah, I've been so bad about this lately (I blame Diet Coke for this). And it's such an easy one to do! Everyone knows that water is good good good and the article says that it does wonders for concentration.
6) Give a compliment - This is a mood booster for the compliment giver. Think of how nice you feel when you get a compliment - it feels even better when you give one. I gotta do this more often.
7) Set up a no phone zone - I have done this recently. I used to live in my phone in the evenings while we were watching TV or chilling. It's amazing what you miss when you're buried in your phone. So I keep it up on the counter now and use it only when I need it - at the counter. I don't bring it down to the couch because it's an attention suck, and Jillian likes to steal it and stick it in her mouth, which is probably not good, huh?
8) Be social - The article says people who lack social connections suffer from risk factors equivalent to about 15 cigarettes a day. What?! They don't say "go out with your friends every night" or anything like that, they say just reaching out to someone to say hi, or see how they are doing is a good step. This makes me want to take things one step further and actually see my friends more often. We don't get together nearly as often as we used to. Life is busy and it's hard to find time, but we need to make it a point to do it, because friends are the best.
I was going to insert a girl group picture here but couldn't find any taken in the last year … that is a bad sign, right?
And that's it. Pretty simple stuff - nothing earth shattering, but it's things that I do sometimes and sometimes I don't. I am going to try and make it point to life by these rules and see what a difference it makes.
How about you … Are these easy rules to live by? Do you do these?
Tuesday, May 27, 2014
OMG, I loved this movie so much. It was a little slow (and odd) in the middle, but I just loved the ending.
Friday, May 23, 2014
- I cannot get Ed Sheeran's "Sing" out of my head. OMG, love it.
- Because we are going to Sanibel next week, I booked my next spray tan! I am super duper excited because even after our Keys vacation I am still see through pasty white and it's just...bad.
Thursday, May 22, 2014
Friday, May 16, 2014
Thursday, May 15, 2014
I hadn't worked out since vacation almost two weeks ago because I was just super lazy and didn't feel like getting out of bed to workout (dumb). And by the end of last week I felt sluggish and just icky. I knew this week I had to do something to remedy this.
I started back on my T25 workouts this week and man do I feel good. Exercise is just good. It's good for your body, it's good for your mind, your mood, stress, it's just a great thing. And when I come back to exercise after being away for a while I always wonder why I stopped doing it.
I know I say this a lot because I waver on exercise all the time - sometimes I'm all in and gung-ho and then sometimes life just gets in the way and it doesn't happen. I just need to remember how it feels to complete a workout during those times where I'm wavering on getting up and working out (that's the hardest part when your alarm is going off and you are snug in bed).
I've been thinking about the type of exercise I do a lot lately. As you know, I used to be a runner. That's what I did for exercise, I ran and walked, that was it. But over time my exercise tastes have changed and now running isn't the center focus, which is okay. For me, I feel like getting a more overall workout is better for me right now, which is what T25 is doing for me - I get crazy cardio and strength training all in a cute little 25-minute package. I burn more calories and get my heart rate up way higher in those 25 minutes than I ever did on an hour long run (cuz I run so slow), so that is good.
I am going to get back to running, because I miss it. I read a lot of running blogs, and hearing people going for a "long run" makes me miss that a little bit. So, that's on the docket, eventually. And I do have my next half marathon in sight - the Celebration Half Marathon in January. Hello, Celebration, my favorite running place ever? Sign me up!
Alright, that's all I've got. Just wanted to share with you my thoughts on exercise and getting back in the saddle.
How about you… Do you ever get in an exercise funk? How do you get out of it? Do you run?
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
The main drag in Key West is Duval Street, which extends from the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico, which sounds long, but it’s actually less than a mile. We stayed at the North end, the Atlantic Ocean end (I had to look it up – yay Wikipedia) and it was nice to be a little bit away from the hullaballoo that can be Duval Street. Once Hubs and I got the obligatory picture taken at the Southernmost Point marker, we started walking towards the fun side of Duval.
|Miami Vice - half pina colada, half strawberry daiquiri, all yum|
|"Where ya been?"|
How about you … Ever been to Key West? Thoughts?
Thursday, May 8, 2014
I have been waiting for my next Fix, well, since my last one back in March! I was super duper excited to get my box of fun and was a little worried when it looked a little dinky.
Luckily for me, it was filled with some good stuff!
Pay no attention to my hair or lack of makeup (or horrendous camera work) - it's a work from home day and I'm not fancy.
I really liked the pieces I got. I started off trying on the coral colored top. I liked the concept, but it's already in the 90s here in Florida and I know I am not going to be wearing a long or three-quarter sleeved shirt for a while, so this was a no. Although I did try it on twice contemplating it.
The second top I tried on I knew I would love. I love anything sleeveless, and this blue top was interesting. It looks like a wrap shirt, but it's not. It criss crosses in the front, but it's also flowy, it's really different and looked good on. Keeping it!
The third item was the black and white chevron maxi skirt. I love the concept of a maxi skirt, but I know I would never wear this. And the material was really thin and would probably require Spanx, which I cannot even deal with. So this was a no.
Next was the cargo shorts. I was a little worried about the pants given the horrible experience I had with the jeans they sent last time. But these fit and they were flattering and cute. A little shorter that I would normally wear, but I'm ready to rock my legs. Why not. I'm leaning towards keeping them but I'm going to sleep on it because they are a tad pricy for shorts.
Last was the earrings. OMG, love at first sight. I love them. But… I have about 300 pairs of earrings and these were $48 - which is about 4x more than I would ever be willing to pay for earrings (unless they were like diamonds or something), so I had to part with these. Sniffle.
Overall, happy with my Fix. I'm going to go and schedule another one pronto. I don't want to wait another month and a half. It's like Christmas when that box arrives at my door!!
How about you … Have you tried Stitch Fix yet?
Monday, May 5, 2014