Thursday, July 24, 2014

Diet Coke and Goldfish

Can we talk about a couple of bad habits I’ve developed?  (and no, Pinterest is not one of them…although it should be!)

A couple of years ago I kicked a dirty, nasty habit that I had for a long time … Diet Coke. 



My Diet Coke addiction was bad, so one day I decided to go cold turkey and stop.  And it worked for about 2 years and then I got prego and decided that soda was going to be my craving of choice.  And not diet soda, real soda, which is even worse.  Dr. Pepper was my go to and man, it was good.  I don’t care what anybody says, Diet Dr. Pepper does NOT taste just like real Dr. Pepper.  That’s a fact.

Anyway, after I had Jillian I knew I had to quit my real soda habit stat (do you know how many calories are in a large Dr. Pepper – it’s astronomically scary).  So how did I do that?  I supplemented diet soda for the real soda.  How dumb am I?  Like seriously.  Anyway, a year and a half later I’m back to square one – hooked on Diet Coke.

I look at my Diet Coke addiction in two ways

a)  It’s bad, it’s horrible for my body, I need to get off of it pronto; and then

b)  Eh, it’s just Diet Coke, it’s not like I’m addicted to smoking or drugs or something really horrible

Why does Diet Coke have to be considered so taboo?   Why does it have to be on everyone’s top ten list of bad things for you.  Yeah, I know it has weird chemicals in it that I can’t pronounce, but it just makes me happy.  A fresh, fountain Diet Coke, OMG, there’s nothing tastier.    

I will just continue to talk in circles about my love for Diet Coke, so I’m going to stop.  Bottom line, yes, I should quit it again.  Do I want to?  Nah.  I have no vices in life except for one, and that is Diet Coke, so let me have that one vice.  I’m keepin’ it!

My other habit I have recently developed is snacking.  I have been really good in the past year and a half about my snacking.  I’ve adopted a lifestyle of “eat only if you are really hungry” (and not bored, tired, stressed, etc).  And I’ve done pretty good at this.  Mainly because I don’t normally keep a lot of “snacky” foods in the house.  But now that Jillian is older, there are some “snacky” foods in our house.  Namely, Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Crackers – the cheddar kind.


Jillian loves her Goldfish, and so do I.  I grew up on the Parmesan and Pizza flavors and never really strayed outside of those.  I figured Pizza flavor wasn’t really a flavor I needed to introduce my one year old, so I chose the safe cheddar kind for her.  Man, they’re tasty.  Truth be told, I eat them by the handful.  A handful here, handful there….  I refuse to look and see approximately how many calories are in a “handful.”  I choose to be blissfully unaware.

So what am I gonna do about?  Well, I’m not going to deprive my daughter of her beloved Goldfish, but I am trying to keep my “’handfuls” at bay by eating lunches and snacks that are satisfying and keep me full.  Like today I was feeling a little snacky after lunch, so I made myself a Pioneer Woman Apple Peanut Butter Delight http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/apple-peanut-butter-delights.html   And it’s safe to say I won’t be eating until dinnertime.  OMG, so good.  Pesky Goldfish, stay away! 

How about you … Do you drink Diet Coke/diet soda?  Real soda?  Do you snack a lot?  What’s your favorite Goldfish cracker flavor?

No comments:

Post a Comment