Wednesday, October 29, 2014

My Fitness Pal

In an effort to get myself back on some sort of healthy track I reactivated my My Fitness Pal app. 


I downloaded this popular app a little over a year ago when I was trying to lose the baby weight.  I think my interest in the app lasted about a day and a half before I stopped logging my food and abandoned the app altogether.  People swear by this app to help keep them on track and “honest” when it comes to the food they are eating, so I thought it might be good to bring it into my life again. 

I’ve been eating like crap lately and frankly I’m tired of it.  It’s so hard to change old, unhealthy habits.  But just the fact that I recognize that my eating is unhealthy and the fact that I want to change my ways, is a step in the right direction.  Right?  On Sunday night when we returned from our anniversary vacation (where I had indulged on… you name it!) I decided that Monday would be the day I started changing things and I instantly thought of starting a food journal.  I scrounged around for an empty spiral notebook and then thought, hey it’s 2014 you can do that on your phone.  So I did.

My Fitness Pal, for those unfamiliar (I’m pretty sure everyone on earth is familiar), is a food and fitness tracking app where you can enter the foods you eat throughout the day, and it tracks the calories, fat, protein, etc you consume all day.  And based on a profile you put together with your current weight, goal weight, etc, it gives you an allotment of calories you can eat in a day and then shows you how many calories you have left.  It’s pretty cool.  I’m not necessarily trying to lose weight, I really just wanted to log my food, but I must say, seeing the calories add up and seeing how many calories I have left at the end of a meal, kind of makes it like a game.



Game on Monday.  And no, I don’t normally eat that few calories in a day – I was totally detoxing from all of the crapola I ate all weekend.  Anywho…

I like this app because it makes me think about what I am putting in my mouth.  Several times yesterday I wanted to grab a handful of Goldfish crackers or a couple of mallowcreme pumpkins (because we are nearing the end of Halloween candy season - wah!), but then I thought, “hmm, I’d have to log that, and I don’t want to have to figure out how many I ate or waste the calories” so I didn’t eat them.  Winning. 

Again, my intention wasn’t to start counting calories this week at all, I really just wanted to write everything down and see where I needed to make some adjustments.  But My Fitness Pal is doing the work for me, so why not do this kind of food tracking to keep me honest? 

The app also tracks water consumption for you, so I’ve found that I am drinking a lot more water this week too.  Something I decided I need to be doing more of.  I think I have come to my breaking point with Diet Coke – I have to get off of it (again) – so integrating more and more water will hopefully make the transition easier when I am ready to pull the plug (wah).

Bottom line, I am feeling really good.  Not as full feeling and bloated as I was just after my weekend of indulgence, so that’s definitely a good thing. 


How about you … Do you use a food tracking app?  What about things like a Jawbone or Fit Bit?  I'm interested in those, but don't know much about them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment