Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Disney Dining Review: It's Been a While!

I’ve dropped the ball a little bit on my Disney Dining Reviews, so here’s an update. 

1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian Resort
During my birthday weekend we went to the character breakfast at 1900 Park Fare.



The place was absolutely packed, so we were socked in the back room that I think they only open up when they are filled to max capacity.  The room has no windows and no décor (the rest of the restaurant is really pretty and spacious), so it was kind of a bummer to be stuck in there.  And the characters didn’t make it back to us until the end of the meal, which I guess was good because you got the eating part out of the way, but it was a real tease for Jillian throughout the meal.  They’d get close to our little room and then they’d walk away.   

The breakfast is a buffet, so it’s all you care to eat.  Yay!  I feel like I didn’t eat nearly enough to quantify the exorbitant price tag of the meal, but that would also be impossible without exploding.  The spread was good though – fresh fruits, juices, eggs, meats, omelet station, crepes, French toast, pancakes, bananas foster syrup – yum, yum and yum.

Overall, it was a nice time, but I think it’s like a one and done kind of thing. 

Beaches and Crème at the Beach Club Resort
Another birthday weekend outing, because this is one of my favorite restaurants out at Disney.


Beaches and Cream is a tiny little 50’s diner that serves hamburgers and sandwiches and, most notably, ice cream in all varieties.  I’m a little perturbed about this place because it used to be an easy place to walk up to and get a table.  Now, they have made it strictly reservation only if you want a table (you can walk up and sit at the counter), which I think is dumb for a restaurant like this.  I mean, the restaurant is located right by the pool, so if anyone wants to walk up from the pool and get a burger, they can’t.  Dumb.  Anyway.

I love the food at Beaches and Cream because it’s greasy diner food and I like that kind of thing.  I had a $16 hamburger.  Another thing I’m perturbed about, when they made this a “reservation only” restaurant, they also changed the menu and the prices skyrocketed.  You used to be able to get a burger for like $9.  Annoying.  But whatever. 

I had the burger, Hubs, unfortunately for him, ordered a Chef Salad (who does that at a place like this?) and we both had ice cream for dessert.  I had a root beer float, Hubs had a Coke float and Jillian had a Mickey sundae (a scoop of ice cream dressed up to look like Mickey).  Fun all around! 

Coral Reef Restaurant at Epcot
The following weekend we had reservations at the Coral Reef restaurant which is located at The Seas attraction at Epcot. 


We had heard a lot of good things about this restaurant – the ambiance, the food, so we wanted to check it out.

When we looked at the menu, we realized that it’s not really a lunchtime place.  I mean, who wants to eat a NY Strip for lunch?  Not me really.  More of a dinner place, for sure.  I ordered a chicken dish which was very good.  And Hubs ordered a steak, which was also really good.  The star of the show though was Jillian’s shells and cheese.  She didn’t like it (she’s strictly a Kraft macaroni and cheese girl), so I ate it and it was by far the best thing of the day.  Ha, me and me 12 year old palate. 

The ambiance of this restaurant … I thought it would be better.  You’re dining amongst the aquariums in The Seas attraction.  But for some reason I was expecting there to be more aquariums and more viewing.  The dining room was three tiers, all tables facing the wall of aquarium at the front.  It was OK.  We were on the third tier, so we didn’t really pay too much attention to it.  I’m sure if we had been sitting in the first tier it would have been different.  Ho hum.

The service wasn’t very good.  Our server came to our table maybe four times total during the meal – once to take our order, once to bring our drinks, once to bring our check and once to bring back our check.  I sat with an empty water cup for most of the meal.  Not cool.  That’s such a huge pet peeve of mine.  My cup better have liquid in it at all times.  Haha. 

Aside from that, Coral Reef was fine.  Again, another one and done type of place.  Been there.  Check. 

Next up on the calendar – Hollywood and Vine character dining at Hollywood Studios this Sunday.  Can’t wait.  The characters at this place are all Disney Junior – Jillian’s favorite.  She’s gonna go nuts!

How about you Have you been to 1900 Park Fare, Beaches and Cream or Coral Reef restaurants?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment