Monday, November 24, 2014

I'm Running a Race on Thanksgiving With a New Fitbit

Yes, you read that right.  I, the person who hasn’t exercised in an eternity, the person who hasn’t run a race since February, the person who has become so lazy that she doesn’t even know if she can pick up her normal exercise routine ever again (OK, that’s a little dramatic), am now officially signed up for the Tampa Bay Times Turkey Trot. 


I’m running the “Wingding,” which is a 5K, but they also have a 1 mile “Gobbler” and a 10K which is actually the official “Turkey Trot,” although the whole event – all races – is officially referred to as the Turkey Trot.  And then they also have a challenge type of thing where you run all three – the 1 miler, the 5K and the 10K – called the “Clearwater Challenge.”  This sounds super intriguing for some year in the future when I am actually in running shape to run 10.3 miles in one morning.  Hey, if there’s any morning to run 10.3 miles, it’s Thanksgiving morning.  Think of the calorie offset you’d have for the rest of the day!  I might have to set a goal for this… 

Truth be told, I have been kind of longing to run again.  I know, I know, I say this a lot and then nothing ever comes to fruition or sticks, but I am really hoping to get running (or walking, or run walking) into my life again and I’m hoping that this race on Thursday will spark that fire in me again.  Nothing like a race to get you motivated, right?  Right? 

Another thing to hopefully motivate me more … My new Fitbit.  Yeah. 

sorry it's upside down
After your comments the other day to my post about the believability of my Jawbone Up24 fitness tracker, I did some more research on the various Fitbit devices.  After scouring the internet for information on the accuracy of fitness trackers, I ran across this really good article that compares two wrist-worn devices (Fitbit Flex, Jawbone Up24) to one hip-worn device (Fitbit One).  The writer said that the wrist-worn devices were nowhere near as accurate as the hip-worn device when it came to step tracking because most wrist-worn devices log arm movements as steps.  (WHY?!)  It was a really interesting article and just confirmed for me what I already believed to be true – if I wanted something that was accurate, or at least was close to my current hip-worn pedometer, then I needed to get the Fitbit One.

So I did!  And yes, it is pretty darn close to my other pedometer.  Not perfect (what exactly is perfect, who knows), but within a couple hundred steps, which is way better than the Up24 which was always overstating steps by thousands.  So that horrible doubt I had before, not so much anymore.  And the cool thing is I can sync my Fitbit up to the Virgin Pulse program we have going on at my company, so I only have to wear the Fitbit and not the other pedometer.  Score!  Happiness all around.

Now, I just need to get this to motivate me to move more.  Between the race and my new toy, I think I might be able to get something going. 


How about you … Other opinions on Fitbits?  What was the last 5K you ran?  (I had to go back and look, mine was the Reindeer Run last December, eek!)

No comments:

Post a Comment