Friday, November 28, 2014

Turkey Trot 5K

Well, I made it through the Turkey Trot 5K yesterday and didn’t keel over, so I consider that a minor victory. 


After one month - two months, some ungodly amount of time - off from working out I made a last minute decision to run a 5K with no training or prep work.  Eh, you know me, I don’t run races to win or best myself or anything like that, I just go for the thrill of being there and the satisfaction of just getting out of bed and doing something exercise-y. 

We were up and out of the house at 6:10am and it was cold.  47 degrees and the sun wasn’t out yet, so I was faced with the question of “do I wear my hoodie over my long sleeved tech tee or do I just suck it up and be cold for a little while until I get moving?”  I opted for the latter and shivered until the race started. 

We found a turkey to take our picture with ahead of time… 



(Sorry they're blurry)

 That was fun. 

And shortly thereafter we were off and running.  And yes, I was running.  My goal was to start the race running and then walk whenever I needed to.  So I ran about 3 feet and stopped.  Ha, kidding. 

There were 5,000 people running this race, so there were hundreds of people pushing me along and they kept me running for at least half a mile before I felt like my lungs were going to explode.  I wasn’t sure if it was from breathing the cold air in my Florida lungs or the fact that I haven’t used them in that capacity in so very long.  Either way I didn’t like it, so I walked for a while. 

I picked up the pace after the first mile marker and ran for a little bit and then walked again.  I kept this going throughout the race, running little spurts here and there and surprising myself at how much I actually ran, given I haven’t moved that fast in a long time.

At one point in the race an older lady ran up next to me and said “you’re a hard lady to catch up with!”  Um, me?  Really?  You obviously have me mistaken with someone fast.  Maybe she was pacing me?  If yes, I’m flattered, because I don’t know anyone who would pace me, besides a walker.  I smiled and nodded at her and then she smoked me and kept on going.  Guess she wasn’t pacing me. 

The race ended in the stadium of a local high school (my high school’s biggest rival) and I ran through the finish line to Britney’s “Work Bitch.”  Nice.  And that was it.  Dad crossed the finish line a minute and a half after me (he walked the whole thing if that tells you anything about my “running”) and he asked, “can we take a finish line selfie?”  Of course we can!


All in all, it was a great way to start our Thanksgiving morning.  We were home by 8:20 and then ate our weight in food the rest of the day because our metabolisms were revving from all that activity.  Haha. 


So now I’m looking for my next 5K to keep the momentum going.  Maybe I will tackle the Reindeer Run this year after all.

How about you ... Anyone participate in a Turkey Trot?  

1 comment:

  1. No Turkey trot. Although I did get in 5.1 miles on the elliptical in 45 min at the gym on T-Day. Daniel had a boxing lesson that morning, so while he boxed, I "ran" on the elliptical. I'm trying really hard not to RUN outside or on the treadmill because of my stress fracture. Next week I can start adding real running back, but only 5-10 minutes worth for the next few weeks. Stress fractures really hurt and I don't want to be sidelined again for awhile.

    We also participated in the "Black Friday" shopping mess. Lizzy and I went to the mall with her friend and mom at midnight and shopped until 3:30am. It wasn't bad. No shoving or craziness. The mall actually makes it like a teen party by having a DJ who blasts music and the DJ raffles off stuff for certain types of selfies and pictures. We had a lot of fun and I would do it again next year.

    ReplyDelete