Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Disney Princess Enchanted 10K Race Recap

On Saturday morning I ran the Enchanted 10K, part of the Disney Princess Half Marathon weekend, and I surprised myself. 


After not training - heck, not running even once before the race - I was able to run a good portion of the race, which surprised the heck out of me.  Let’s start at the beginning…

I wasn’t really worried about not being able to finish this race because I knew I could eke out 6.2 miles without keeling over (13.1 miles, that would be another story).  But I was a little worried that I would have to walk a majority of it because I was so unprepared and hadn’t run in a really long time.  Yeah, I know, next time I will train, I promise. 

And the weather…  Let’s talk about how cold it was.  On Friday, the day before the race, we didn’t get out of the 40s.  That is insane cold for us Floridians.  The weather forecast on Saturday morning at 4:30am (the time I had to be out at Disney – yes really) said it was going to be 38 degrees.  I don’t even know how to dress normally in that sort of temperature, much less how to dress for a race.  So I was a smidge worried about that. 


ended up with an old long sleeved  Disney Half race shirt from 2008 underneath a long sleeved quarter zip hoodie with awesome thumb holes that I got at Costco (yes!).  Both shirts were kind of thin, but I didn’t want to get too hot, so I went with it.  Then I did long pants and compression socks (knee socks) to keep me warm on the bottom and I completed the look with a hat and gloves.  It was the most perfect combination.  I was warm before the race and during the race I wasn’t too hot, so I did good! 




I met up with Michele at 4am and we got in one car and made our way to Epcot, where the race began.  We got there at the perfect time, we had just enough time to park, visit the port-a-potty, take some pics and make our way to our corrals.  We even got to see Miss America talk a little bit. 


was in Corral C (?!?!).  I don’t know how I got lucky enough for that, usually I’m in the way way back because I’m so slow, but I lucked out.  It was the perfect corral for me too because everyone seemed to be going at my pace.  It was really great, I felt like I was surrounded by people just like me, which was really motivating throughout the race.  Kumbayah! 



Anyway, the race began, I turned up my iPod super loud (like to a point where I think I might have lost some of my hearing) and I went.  My plan was 90/90 intervals – walk 90 seconds, run 90 seconds.  I crossed the start line running and when the beep went off telling me to walk, I didn’t want to.  I wanted to keep running, so I did.  I ended up running about 10 minutes (?!?!) before I settled into some intervals. But I didn’t stick with the 90/90, I did 3 minutes running and 90 seconds walking throughout most of the race.  Who am I?  I didn’t think I’d be able to run for a full minute, much less 3, so I was super excited about this.  I felt great!! 

The race course was a little boring for the first 3 miles.  It started in the Epcot parking lot, looped around the roadways around Epcot, then went in the backstage area of Epcot and then (finally) into Epcot’s World Showcase.  We entered in between Norway and China and ran around the world, exited near France and then ran around the Boardwalk, where Michele this picture of an awesome spectator slide. 



Hey girl. Oh hey Ryan Gosling. 

At one point during the race a lady came up next to me and told me she was pacing me.  Really?  Normally I would have laughed because that’s ludicrous, but I was doing pretty good and felt great so I was like ‘THANK YOU!” and tried to stay close to her.  I actually never saw her again, I hope she was close behind me.

I felt great all the way until about mile 4.5 and then my legs started to get really tired, so I started to slow down and dropped my intervals to 90/90.  I couldn’t believe how tired my legs were!

The last half mile was around Epcot.  We ran in near Imagination, ran towards The Seas and then towards the ball and out to the parking lot.  I was so very tired and tried running but just couldn’t.  I had to save my energy for the final push to the finish line.  So I turned on my La Copa de la Vida, waited until the area where the spectators were, hoping they would provide motivation and started running.  Man, my legs have never been so tired!  I literally didn’t think I’d be able to run across the finish line.  But I did!  I crossed with a time of 1:30:19.  My goal – which I didn’t think I would actually hit because of my severe lack of training – was 1:30, so, hello, awesome! 

The whole race was such a wonderful, lovely surprise.  I can’t believe I did so well.  I had zero expectations for this race and I just feel like I killed it.  I felt great, I ran more than I thought I would, I just killed it.  So proud! 



So when’s the next one?!!?  

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! That's the best kind of no-training surprise!

    ReplyDelete