Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Hey, I'm Back and Success!

Oh wait, what?  I have a blog? 

Wow.  Sorry.  I know pretty much no one reads this blog, but I always feel a little guilty for being dormant for days or weeks. 

So what’s up?  Lots of fun stuff over here, I can’t complain, but today I want to talk about my experience with the 24-Day Challenge and my progress with the Couch to 10K program. 



That pretty much sums it up!  Hubs and I officially finished up the Advocare 24-Day Challenge on Friday of last week (we took two days off from it during our Universal vacay – which I still need to write about too!) and we both had crazy success. 

To recap what the challenge is, it’s basically a cleanse for the first 10 days (not a crazy one where you only lemons and plants) and then a 14 day maintenance program where you take vitamins and supplements in addition to a very clean diet.  Our diet consisted of fruits, veggies, lean protein and complex carbs (no bread, cheese, sweets, caffeine, etc), and I can honestly say I was never really that hungry.  Did I have cravings for cookies pizza soda?  Sure.  But I was never starving, which was pretty awesome.  I look at it as a way to really kind of “reset” and get away from all of the garbage we normally eat (because let’s be honest, we eat a lot of crapola most of the time). 


I know I post this ecard all the time, but it's so good! 

After 24 days of eating pretty clean (yes, we had some cheats), I have decided that I really want to continue eating this way.  Not so restrictive, but a modified version of this.  Because I just felt good during the whole thing.  Real good.  It’s amazing what good food does for you.  I know, noble concept right?  Overall I lost a total of 9 lbs (at one point I was down 10) and inches from my hips, waist and thighs.  Yes, really!  It was all good stuff.  Not sure if the weight loss had more to do with the diet or my renewed interest in running.  Probably a little of both.

I started running again (!!) at the beginning of the Challenge and got motivated by using the Couch to 10K app to keep me in check, and I can honestly say I am loving it.  As someone who has just been dabbling in running for the last few years – and by dabbling I mean doing more leisurely walking than slowly running – having this sort of structure where someone literally says in my ear “start running now” and “start walking now” is good for me.  The app has you run 3 days a week and uses a run/walk method until you get to a certain point in the 13-week program where you start to run the whole time and by the end you’re supposed to be able to run a full 6.2.  Neat. 



I like it because it makes me run longer than I normally would run.  Usually when I get tired f running, I stop.  But when using the app, I stop when it tells me to stop, so it's pushing me to become better, which is great.  

I just started week 4 yesterday and I’m up to running 4 minute intervals and walking 2 minutes.  I seriously thought I was going to keel over.  I know 4 minutes doesn’t sound like a lot, but when you’re hoofing it, it’s so long.  This coming from someone who used to be able to run a full 9 miles without stopping – ah how times change.  Baby steps… 

Anyway, I am super glad I am doing this because I feel great and I am loving getting out in the mornings, getting exercise, listening to my jams, all that fun stuff.  It’s all good.


All in all, I am feeling really good and feel like I’m finally out of a non-exercise funk that I feel like I have been in for a while, so hooray for structure!  And eating good food that makes you feel good and want to workout.  Yay!  

How about you ... Does your diet affect how motivated you are to exercise?


1 comment:

  1. I checked out the advocare stuff. $200...a bit much for me. I think I'll just try to eat cleaner.
    My diet really affects how I feel. Too much crap food and my running performance goes in the toilet. I've read other blogs and see what some of the runners eat and I'm amazed at the amount of ice cream and cookies they eat and are still super thin. Bums me out a bit.
    The running gig for me was going great until Saturday. I was back to running 5 miles -3X per week. Then, I got slammed with a 3 day migraine headache. Really put a dampener on the running. Got the chiro to straighten out my neck yesterday and ran for 2.5 miles today. Much better.

    ReplyDelete