Tuesday, June 16, 2015

I Hate My Shoes

I’ve decided that I hate my new running shoes. 



Yeah, happy face because I was about to take my shoes off! 

Oh, and if you're wondering about the purple room, Jordyn has the best mirror in the house, so I take pics in her room sometimes.  She's not using it...  

Last week I noticed that my new Adidas Supernova Glides were rubbing on my heel.  Nothing a band aid couldn’t fix.  Or could it?  Even with a band aid I still had an issue, but I trudged on because you always have to go through that “break in” period with new shoes.  Right? 

Well, it’s been a little over a week and the problem is not getting better, it’s getting worse.  Today, with two band aids, it was so bad I could barely walk during my walking intervals.  I was okay with the running because I don’t run on my heel (one running thing that I actually do correctly), but the walking parts were bad.  Like so bad that I just wanted to start running again.  Not a terrible thing, but not the best option.

So I’m now wondering – do I ditch these shoes and find new ones (total waste of moolah)?  Do I trudge on and make these work (sacrificing my tender heels)?  What to do?  If anyone has tips for this, like special band aids or something that can safeguard my heel, I am all ears!  For my next run, I am going to try an old pair of Nikes that I wasn’t crazy about running in, but at least they didn’t rip up my heels.  Argh, runner problems.  (and again, I use the term “runner” loosely)

Although … I feel like I am starting earn a little street cred - I conquered another day of 8 minute intervals and they are getting easier, so that is a good thing.  Today’s plan was 5/8 intervals – walk 5 minutes run 8 minutes, three times – and it was all pretty easy.  Well minus the giant pulsating heel blister thing and the fact that it was 80 degrees and 80% humidity at 6:30 this morning (just the way I like it!).


I’m taking tomorrow off from running to let my heel heal.  I’m not happy about it, but I’ll do it.


How about you … How do you break in new shoes?  What do you do if your shoes rub blisters on your heel?  

1 comment:

  1. I run by the logic that if I have to "break in" my running shoes, then they are the wrong ones. They should be comfortable from the beginning.
    I also get my shoes at Road Runner Sports, which has a 60 day perfect fit guarantee, so if the shoes bother me, I take them back and get a new pair; no wasted money! So, I would suggest getting your next pair at a running store with a similar guarantee.
    As for heel blisters, try moleskin.

    ReplyDelete