Monday, August 17, 2015

Celebration of Running 5K Race Recap

I did it!  


On Saturday I ran the first official 5K of the Track Shack Fanatic 2015-2016 series - the Celebration of Running. 



(The logo and the shirts were sooo stinkin' cute this year.)

The race was held near Loch Haven Park in downtown Orlando with Florida Hospital and the Orlando Science Ceneter as a scenic backdrop. 

(I apologize in advance for the terrible picture quality on some of these, I had to use my iPod to take pics at the race because I didn't want to carry my big honkin' phone with me.)

Completely unrelated and random fun fact: I interned at the Orlando Science Center my junior year of college. It was super fun.

Track Shack sponsored races, especially this race (since it's the first event of the year), are usually perfectly run. And despite some sound issues at the beginning (I didn't hear Carissa's familiar voice until after the race started) and some clock issues during the race (no biggie for me), everything went nicely. 

The course wound through the backroads of downtown Orlando and it wasn't terribly scenic, and it was mostly cobblestone streets, which had me in a panic (cuz I’m clumsy), but overall it was a fine course.  And it was HOT.  OMG, so steamy and muggy, it was just gross.  But you know I prefer to run in the heat, so it was all good.

So how did I do?  


(Pre-race selfie)

I did great!  I am very proud of myself.  Especially since my lack of training was worrying me a bit.  My goal was 5/2 intervals and I maintained that through a majority of the race (more in that in a minute).

The race started a few minutes late due to traffic and we were off.  As I crossed the mat I turned on my Easy Intervals app to alert me when to walk and when to run, and I turned up my awesome 5K playlist so loud I couldn't hear anything else (I know you're not supposed to do that, but it really helps me).  

I felt great during my first running interval and it flew by.  When it came time to walk I didn't really want to, but I knew if I wanted to keep up the pace I had to, so I did.  It felt like a long time to walk (later when I was really tired these flew by way too fast), but I stuck to the plan.  

About three running intervals in I was starting to get tired.  Most of my "training" (I use that term loosely) runs have only been 2 miles, so adding on a third mile proved to be a little tough.  (Mental note: do a couple 3 milers before my next race)  

Around the half way point, during one of my running intervals I got really tired and thought about stopping to walk.  After yelling "nooooo, you can do this, push!" in my head, a song came on my playlist that had the most perfect lyrics...

I am tired, I am drained
But the fight in me remains 
I am weary, I am worn 
Like I’ve never been before 


This is harder than I thought 
Harder than I thought it’d be 
Harder than I thought 
Takin’ every part of me 
Harder than I thought 
So much harder than I thought it’d be 
But empty’s never felt so full 

This is what love (this is what love)
This is what love 
Feels like 
This is what love (this is what love) 
This is what love 
Feels like 


Leave it to tobyMac to be a huge motivator during my race (this is from the song "Love Feels Like").  These lyrics helped push me to keep going and not stop, even when I sort of wanted to.  It was like one of those "aha" moments that came just at the right time.  It was pretty cool.  I know the song is totally not about running, but it was just so perfect.

I kept on chugging and got to the 2 mile marker (yeah all that happened before I even got to mile marker 2 - sheesh, I have some work to do!) and the clock said 20:21 as I passed it.  Wow, I was flying!  Har har har.  It was wrong by about 10 minutes or so, I'm sure.  

The rest of the race I kept pushing and with about .3 miles to go I literally had nothing left.  I was about 2 minutes into a running interval and knew I needed to slow down and walk.  I didn't want to, but I felt like I had to.  So I did.  I should have pushed, heck, I should have gone back to that song, but I was just so tired and so hot and I just really wanted to walk.  

So I walked for 5 seconds and then started running again thinking that that short burst would satisfy me.  Unfortunately it didn't.  So I walked a little bit more. (Did I mention the last part of the race was uphill?  Ugh, that should be illegal.)  I walked until my next walking interval (about 2.5 minutes or so) and started up again.  

At that point I was at the 3 mile marker and knew I could bust it out for the last .1 mile, I mean c'mon.  And then another song with awesomely perfect lyrics came on...

Y'all know what it is
Sometimes, 
You gotta push though all your obstacles
Nah’ I mean?
No matter what the options are
There is no lose, there is no fail
Let’s Go!

Seems like life go lightning speed
Slow it on down baby, just to breathe...


And then it goes into the most perfect chorus for the end of a race:

If the sky turns black, it don't matter
We know the sun, is coming up
Built so strong, it won't shatter
We-were-born-to RUN


Seriously, my music was awesome this race.  This is the song “Born 2 Run” from 7Lions, FYI.

So while lip syncing “we were born to RUN” I crossed the finish line.  Hooray!  

Got my medal, got my water, got my banana and I hung around for a while and just rested.  (and took another sweaty, blurry selfie)


This was a great first race.  I went in with little expectation and came out very proud of myself.  I wish I hadn’t stopped at the end, but I did and that’s something to work on for my next race (which is less than a month away).  Running a 5K is a huge motivator and just makes me want to get out there and work on getting even better for the next one.  

Word up!  

How about you ... Anyone running any races?  How do you stay motivated to push through and keeping running (or walking, or working out in some way)?

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the 5k. I generally don't mind running in the heat, but prefer 60F and cloudy. When I'm tired, I always go back to ththe same song "Not Gonna Die" by Skillet. It keeps me motivated.
    I haven't signed up for any traditional races, but Lizzy and I are doing a Spartan race at the end of September. The Spartan Sprint is 3+ miles and 15+ obstacles. Lots of climbing, carrying, carrying and dragging things. We now have a trainer to help us get the upper body strength needed for it.

    ReplyDelete