Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I'm a Slow Runner, and It's OKAY!

As you know, I'm riding the 5K high right now.  I feel great about how I did on Saturday that I really just want to keep up that momentum.  I'm really glad I signed up for the Fanatic series this year because I know I have a race just around the corner almost every month until March.  


I flippin' love this shirt.

I love doing races because I feel like I'm surrounded by people who are like me.  And what I mean by that is this: reading running blogs and reading running magazines and books sometimes makes me feel like I'm an inferior runner, like I'm not even really a "runner."  



I'm slow.  Like, super duper slow.  I run probably a 13 minute pace, if I'm lucky.  Pair that with my walk breaks and I'm probably averaging 14 minutes per mile during a race.  (I'd have to do the math)  Reading about people who run a sub 2 hour half marathon or strive for a sub 3 hour marathon are so outside my realm of reality it's comical, but it makes me feel - and I know it shouldn't - a little inferior.  Like, "why do I run so slow?!"


I'm not sure why I run so slow - I'm in good shape, I'm not overweight, maybe I'm lazy?  I don't know.  But I'm just not build to run a 7 minute mile, or a 9 mile mile or even an 11 minute mile.  I'm just not.  I remember back in the 7th grade, we had to run the mile as part of some PE test and everyone was blowing past me and I was just taking my own sweet time and taking walk breaks, much like I do now.  I finished in 12-ish minutes (wow, fast!) and I was second to last (hey, not last!).  See, just not built for speed. 


And I'm okay with this.


The 5K this weekend (and really any race I do) showed me that I'm not alone.  There are tons and tons of people just like me out there who are doing their own version of running. Everyone is different, everyone has their own pace, and ya know what, it's all running.  I may never run a 2 hour half marathon (ha, or even a 2:55 half marathon, let's be honest), but that is OK.  At least I'm out there trying.  


Bottom line:  Run for YOU.  Run at your own pace, your own style and don't worry what everyone else is doing.  Remember, it's ALL running!  


And for those non-runners who feel like this:


I'm sorry.  I'll talk about something else tomorrow.  Hehe.

How about you ... Do you run?  Fast, slow, middle of the road, don't care to compare?

No comments:

Post a Comment