Monday, September 14, 2015

Boston - Day One

Last week was craaaazy.  It was a short week with the Labor Day holiday, and then I had Wednesday off, but work was so busy on the days I was in the office I literally had zero time for anything else.  Sheesh.

Anyway, I’ve been meaning to share details about our Boston trip for a while now and I am happy to finally be doing that!

First off, I LOVE BOSTON!  Hubs and I had never been there for an extended period of time before (I was there for work once, but only for a few hours and I literally only saw the office and the airport), so we were really excited that this trip worked out for us.  The timing of my business trip to Hartford couldn’t have been more perfect to allow us to spend the long Labor Day weekend in Boston.  Hooray business travel!

Hubs flew up on Thursday evening, we spent the night in Hartford and then Friday morning we were off on the two hour journey to Boston.  We made a quick pit stop in Springfield, Mass. to see the Basketball Hall of Fame.  It was pretty fun!  

After about two hours perusing the museum, and shooting a few hoops, we got back in the car and made the 90 mile journey to Boston.  We got there around 3:00 or so and fought with downtown traffic getting to our hotel.  (The Friday before Labor Day weekend and downtown Boston, not a good mix)  

We found our hotel checked in, got situated and then made our way downstairs to start roaming around the city.  We stayed at the Marriott Long Wharf, which was the most perfect location.  Our plan was to grab the Duck Tour and get a guided tour of the city so that we could get our bearings and see where we wanted to go back and visit on Saturday.  Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get a “duck” at that time of the day but we were able to get a good deal on a land and sea tour of the city which was a 45 minute tour on Boston Harbor and then a 60 minute trolley ride around the city.
When we got there we were surprised to find that it was COLD.  Now, cold for me and cold for the average person is very different, but it was 66 degrees.  That’s like winter weather for me, so it was a little shocking.  But I threw on a cardigan and I was good to go.  

The boat tour was very nice (albeit chilly) and it took us around and gave us great views of the city.  The trolley tour, however, was just what we wanted and needed.  Being in a new city is always intimidating - especially a city with so much history and so much to see - so getting a guided tour around the city was the best way to get our bearings.  

We had a great tour guide and got to see all of the sights like Faneuil Hall, the State House, Boston Common, the USS Constitution, Paul Revere’s House, etc etc.  Our plan was to walk the entire Freedom Trail the next day, but we got to see a bunch of the stops on the trolley, so that was good.  

By the end of the trolley tour we were hungry and went on a search for the Hard Rock Cafe Boston (because, you know that’s Hubs’ thang).  Luckily it was right near the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area, so we moseyed around there for a while and then made our way back to the hotel.  We had to rest up because we had super busy day ahead of us - Freedom Trail!  

Alright, that’s all the time I have for now.  Stay tuned for days 2 and 3 later this week!  

How about you ... Have you been to Boston?  

No comments:

Post a Comment