Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Things I'm Watching, Listening To and Reading

I'm off hobnobbing with Steve Wozniak this week (I'm really not, but that just sounds good).  While I’m gone I thought I'd leave you with a post about some fun things I’m watching, listening to, reading, etc.  Because, why not?

Happier Podcast. 
  


I never thought I was a podcast kind of girl until Julie mentioned a podcast by Gretchen Rubin, the writer of The Happiness Project (a book I have dabbled in but have yet to finish). The podcast is called Happier and it centers around the little things you can do to live a happier life.

I am all about the happiness and finding little things to integrate into everyday life to be even happier, so I gave it a try, and I am loving it! Not just the content of this podcast, but podcasts in general. 

Happier offers bite sized little podcasts, about 20-30 minutes each, hosted by Gretchen and her sister Elizabeth, who are both super likable. I'm about 12 episodes in and I have literally jotted down a few things to try from each episode. During each podcast they offer up a simple “try this at home” anecdote to help you make your life a little happier/easier/better.  I love this because I just enjoy this kind of stuff. 

For instance, one of the “try this at home” items was making your bed every morning.  The reason – doing a small, easy task like this leads to a sense of accomplishment right at the start of the day, leading to happiness. And ya know what, it does!!  I always feel better when the bed is made and our room looks more put together.  Easy.  Another one I have been integrating is The One Minute Rule.  The One Minute Rule is this: if a task takes less than a minute to complete (i.e., hanging up your clothes or putting something away where it belongs), just do it then and there and get it out of the way. If you don't, and you let it pile up, that leads to more stuff to do, hindering your overall happiness. So true! 

I find myself a lot of the time saying “YES!” out loud and agreeing with them on things that they talk about, so this is really resonating with me.  I love it and I feel like I am learning something in my down time, which is awesome.  Way better than spending mindless minutes on social media – amiright?

Since I'm a mommy and pretty much have no time to sit and listen to (and focus on) a podcast, I save them for car rides when I'm alone - driving to/from work or daycare or whatever. It's great! It's almost like a little treat for me in the day, a little nugget of happiness that I get to carve out for myself in the day. Happier indeed!!

Now I want to go back and read (and finish) The Happiness Project and read Gretchen’s other books! 

Stitcher App. 

 Stitcher is an app that helps you find and listen to podcasts (since they're my jam now). I was using the Apple podcast app, but it was so confusing!  I could never figure out how to play an episode or see a full list of them, it was weird. I heard about Stitcher on the Happiness podcast and immediately downloaded it since the Apple one was annoying, and I have to say it’s much easier to maneuver around than the Apple app.  Hooray.

The List App.


The List App was created byBJ Novak from The Office (and other stuff) and it's literally an app where people (famous and non-famous) create lists. And I’m not talking about lists like grocery lists or To Do Lists.  It’s more like lists about stuff.  Anything and everything.  I can’t really explain it, but it’s kind of awesome and I love it.  Here’s some examples…



I remember all of these!


 See, things like that.  You just can't really explain it.   

Again, I’m a mommy, so opportunities to sit and read 100 lists about whatever is hard, but whenever I get a chance to do it, I love it.  Check it out!


Wicked City.


I saw the previews for this new show on ABC about a million times during my regular ABC shows and thought “eh.”  But then I realized that the main character of the show was Ed Westwick, AKA Chuck Bass from Gossip Girl.  I love Chuck Bass, so I had to check this show out.  Granted, he plays a serial killer, but he’s so good as a creeper.  The show is good.  It’s set in the 80s, so it has killer music (and killer hairdos) and it follows a cop (Jeremy Sisto – love him too, hello Clueless) who is trying to catch the serial killer played by Chuck Bass, er, Ed Westwick.  There’s only been one episode so far, but I like! 


Scream Queens. 


 I mentioned Scream Queens a while ago and dude, it’s so good.  It’s a Ryan Murphy show (the guy behind Glee and American Horror Story), so you know it’s going to push the envelope a bit.  I’m way beyond the age of sororities and campy college shows, but this one is cool and smart and creepy and a little shocking.  The story centers around a sorority, with a crazy backstory, that is being targeted by a serial killer.  The storylines may be a little out there, but the characters and the dialogue are what make me tune in each week, because they are all fantastic and crazy.  My favorite character by far is Chanel #3 played by Billie Lourd.  She always wears fancy earmuffs because her ex boyfriend was obsessed with her ears and told her he’d cut them off if he saw her again.  Or something like that.  Oh, and Charles Manson is her dad.  Yeah, this show is off the rails.  But good! 


 And that's it! 


How about you … Do you listen to podcasts?  If yes, which ones? (I want to find more)  Anyone watching Wicked City or Scream Queens?  

No comments:

Post a Comment