Thursday, December 31, 2015

2016 Theme: DO

It's New Year's Eve and it's that time to start thinking about what I want to accomplish in the new year. I know lots of people scoff at making New Year's Resolutions, but I rather like them. I'm very Type A and love making lists and checking things off and all that jazz, so resolutions are right up my alley. 

Over the last couple of months I have been listening to the Happier podcast with Gretchen Rubin, author of The Happiness Project (a book that I vow to finish in 2016), and she's given some good insights into making good resolutions and one thing she suggested really resonated with me. She suggested picking one word to be your theme for the year. I kind of love this, because as soon as she said that I immediately knew what my word was going to be. 


There is much I want to DO on a given day, but sometimes it just doesn’t happen due to laziness, other demands or whatever.  And there are times where I’m literally sitting doing nothing, saying to myself “I should be doing this or that...”  Or things - like organizing closets or cleaning out junk drawers - that I’ve been meaning to do and know in the back of my mind I need to do, but I push it off to do something else, or nothing at all.  It can be frustrating, because, why am I pushing it off?  Why can’t I just do it?  So my theme of the year is going to be DO. Just do it.



Thanks Shia LaBeouf.  What happened to that guy!?

So that covers the theme of DO.  And then as far as “resolutions” or “goals” or whatever you want to call them, I’m being super vague about them this year.  Normally it’s things like “eat healthier” or “workout more” - which I never pay attention to.  So this year I’m going more vague (which is the opposite of what Gretchen says to do - she says be more specific like instead of saying eat healthier, say I’m going to eat vegetables every night, or something like that).  So things like:

- Be consistent.  
- Be present.
- Be better.
- Keep track.

I have a better chance of hitting all those goals.  So that’s the plan.  

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

How about you ... What’s your plan for 2016?  Do you make resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment