Monday, January 4, 2016

First Monday of the Year

Ah, the first Monday of the year.  It’s back to a 5-day workweek, back to the grind, back to normalcy. I kind of love that we’re getting back to a normal schedule again.  The holidays are great, but being out of a normal routine can be a little weird.  I always crave getting back to this date - the first Monday of the year.  Clean slate, lots of new projects on the horizon.  Love it.

Since my plan this year is to follow those 4 simple workout rules:

I made sure to get up and work out today - the first Monday of the year.  Even if it was only 45 degrees this morning (that’s like 35 degrees colder than my outings last week).  Even if I do have an 8am meeting that I have to be present and coherent at.  Even if all I really wanted to do was bury myself under the covers when the alarm went off, I did it.  2 miles running and walking and then some stretches after.  Nothing long, nothing major (darn that pesky 8am meeting) but it was a workout on a Monday, and I am grateful for it.


Like all that sh-- I ate all weekend.

Usually the first Monday of the year also signals a very long period of time until the next paid holiday, or time off.  Not for me.  I’m actually not working a full week for the next three weeks.  Yeah!  

This week I have this Friday off for the Disney 10K.  Yeah, it’s on a Friday.  Technically I could work, the race begins at 5:30 and I’ll probably be home before my normal workday begins, but given the fact I have to be up and at ‘em around 3:30 (they want you to be on Disney property between 4 and 4:30 am), I’ve decided to take the day because... well, why not?  


It’s a Minnie themed race, so I’ve already got my costume ready. Gettin’ that Minnie medal!

Next week I have a nice day off in the middle of the week (Wednesday) to celebrate my most favorite holiday of the year - Jillian’s birthday.  It’s birthday tradition that we take her to Disney to a character breakfast and then play at Magic Kingdom.  And because she’s turning 3, we get to play on all sorts of fun rides, like the Barnstormer (a kiddie roller coaster that she absolutely loves).  I cannot wait!


This is a screen shot from the world’s best video of my daughter on the Barnstormer.  It is soooo adorable.  I wish I was techy enough to figure out how to share it.

And then the following week, coincidentally the day after her birthday party, I have Monday off for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.  So there’s another day. 

So back to 100% normalcy?  Not really, but I’m darn close!

How about you ... Do you miss the regular routine when you get out of it?  Do you crave day to day normalcy?

No comments:

Post a Comment