Monday, February 1, 2016

First of the Month Push

Happy February 1st!  I cannot believe it’s February already. 

This morning I had set my alarm to get up and work out.  But when I went to bed last night I was totally not feeling the whole “wake up early and workout” thing.  I was all prepared – had my clothes set out, all of my gear, etc – but I kind of knew that when the alarm went off I probably would not get up and go.  If I’m not excited to get up and work out when I go to sleep at night, chances are I’m not going to get up.  I’m in an exercise funk and I can’t get out.

So this morning my alarm went off at 6:15 and I hit snooze once, twice, three times.  And then I rolled over and thought about the fact that it was the first of a new month.  A clean slate, if you will.  It’s also a Monday, you’re never supposed to skip a Monday (although I think I skipped all four of them in January).  If I can’t change my ways on a Monday and the first of a new month, when am I going to change my ways?  Argh.  After all of this thinking and mental tug of war in my head, I was awake and then it was kind of like, “OK, just get up and do something.”  So I did.  Thank God for that "first of the month" push.

Gah, it’s ridiculous what I have to go through to get up and do something that’s good for me and makes me feel great. 

Because it was uber dark outside (still, at like 6:45), I decided to forego my outdoors workout (because apparently I’m scared of the dark?) and just go upstairs and do some Pinterest workouts. After scouring my Workouts page I decided on a 20 minute Living Room Workout:


Along with my go-to standing abs workout (which is really good for my lower back problems lately) and my go-to arm workout which is simply:

10 bent over rows
10 lateral raises
10 bicep curls
10 tricep kickbacks
10 upright rows
10 push ups
X2

Easy peasy.  And a great way to “ease” back into that workout thang, I guess.  Not that I need “easing” – I just need to hit it hard and do it because it’s time.  And I’m not a wuss. 

Oh, and have I mentioned that I need to be “bathing suit acceptable” by March 2nd?  Yeah, I do.  Hubs and I are going on a cruise (more on this later)!  I am excited, but yikes, not excited about getting into a bikini.  Spray tan here I come! 

Anyway…  This is all on the heels of a less than stellar showing at my 5K this past weekend.  If you remember, this is my second 5K in the last two weekends, and I ran it because I wanted the cute shirt and race bling (medal).  Bad idea.  I so wasn’t into it.  I got there and thought, “I’m walking this one.”  I did my intervals the first mile and then just walked and enjoyed the scenery.  I don’t feel bad about it, but meh. 


At least I got a medal.  My next race in the series is on the 13th (so I have a one week reprieve from races) and it’s a 4 miler, so yikes, I need to get on it! 

And there ya have it - February is my month of getting back on some kind of track.  Go go go!


How about you … How do you get back on track after a hiatus from working out?

No comments:

Post a Comment