Wednesday, February 3, 2016

New Recipe Tuesday (on Wednesday)

Oopsie.  I got a little busy yesterday and never got this up.  So here’s New Recipe Tuesday ... on Wednesday! 

Last week I made a new-to-me dish in the crock pot that I found somewhere on the interwebs … Crock Pot Monogolian Beef.  Sounds good right?  Here’s how it came together…

First, I cut a 1 lb flank steak diagonally against the grain into strips.  The recipe calls for 2.5 lbs, so I just decreased everything accordingly.  



Once all cut, I placed it in a freezer bag and added enough corn starch to cover all strips, sealed the bag and shook it up so that all of the meat was covered. 



Then, into the crock pot I added minced garlic, chili flakes, brown sugar, grated ginger (this was new to me), olive oil, water and soy sauce.  (see recipe link below for measurements)



Sorry, these pictures are horrible.

This was my first foray into ginger.  I had to Google how/if you peel it and all that jazz, but I got there.  In the end I think I added too much ginger to the mix because it was way ginger-y, and apparently I’m not the biggest fan of ginger.  Ah well.



Next, add the steak to the crock pot and coat with the sauce.



Cook on high for 2-3 hours (I did 3 hours) and then add shredded carrots and cook another 30 minutes.

And that’s it!  Plate it up over some rice and yum!



The verdict:  I really liked the texture of the beef. I’ve never done flank steak in the crock pot before, so I really enjoyed how tender it was.  Like I said, I wasn’t a super fan of the strong ginger taste, so next time I will either add less, or eliminate it altogether.  But overall, great dish that I will likely make again!  

Here's the link to the recipe if you're interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment